Our improvisation workshop program teaches a complete understanding of the essential principles and techniques of theatre-based improvisation as practised at Impro Melbourne. We cater both to people developing their improvisation skills for performance and to those simply wanting improvisation in their life for creative play, fun and stress relief.
The following is the tried-and-tested pathway that we have developed over the years to help students develop rock solid impro skills that will set them on the path to becoming generous, creative improvisors. Each course works on a different skill set while building on the skills developed in previous classes.
- Spontaneity — ground yourself in the basics of improvisation
- Narrative — create stories spontaneously
- Character — make interesting and powerful character choices
- Scene Work — consolidate your developing narrative and character skills
- Stagecraft — enhance your performance skills
- Vocal Work — strengthen your vocal ability and technique, including singing
- Formats & Styles — explore long-form, short-form or genre-based shows
- Performance — refine your impro through in-depth rehearsal and feedback
And all of this is complemented by an ever-changing selection of one-off workshops and courses on a range of topics from clowning to singing, including some taught as weekend intensives or by special guests.
More interested in improvisation as a way to have fun, meet people and stay creative without performing in front of an audience? Check out Play! Play! Play!, a low-stress, high-joy way to keep impro in your life.
Still not sure? Try a no-strings-attached Free Class!
We value diversity and extend a warm welcome to people of different ethnicities, religions, sexualities, genders, abilities, ages, and backgrounds. If you are unsure if improvisation is for you, please have a conversation with us so we can create a safe space for you to try.
Got questions about classes? Give us a call on 0449 220 124, or drop us an email.