Our improvisation workshop program teaches a complete understanding of the essential principles and techniques of theatre-based improvisation as practised at Impro Melbourne. We catered to those developing their improvisation skills for performance and for people simply wanting improvisation in their life for creative play, fun and stress relief.
The following is the tried and tested pathway that Impro Melbourne have developed over the years to help students develop rock solid impro skills that will set them on the path to becoming generous, creative improvisors. Each course works on a different skill set while building on the skills developed in the previous one.
- Spontaneity - the first rung on our impro ladder where everyone gets grounded in the basics
- Narrative - create stories spontaneously
- Character - make interesting and powerful character choices
- Scene Work - consolidates your developing narrative and character skills
- Stage craft - the nuts and bolts of performing
- Vocal - strengthens vocal ability, awareness and technique includes songprov
- Formats & Styles learn long-form, short-form or genre formats with a performance
- Performance learn how to perform with multiple shows and receive personalised feedback
But hang on! This is all well and good you may be thinking, but I have absolutely no desire to go onstage. However, I do love playing in class, hanging out with my great community of impro friends and building on the positive effects of impro in my everyday life. Can I keep taking classes if I don’t want to perform in front of an audience?
Absolutely! We created Play! Play! Play! especially with people like you in mind. After completing our Spontaneity course you can sign up for these low stress, high fun classes, turn up and give your imrpo muscles a work out with no string attached.
Maybe one day you’ll change your mind and decide you’d like to try another course. Maybe you won’t. You’re under no obligation either way.
Still not sure? Try a Free Class.
Impro brings more laughter and play into your life while increasing your social circles. It is an excellent skill for performance, writing, building confidence, and expanding your creativity.
We value diversity and extend a warm welcome to people of different ethnicities, religions, sexualities, genders, abilities, ages, and backgrounds. If you are unsure if improvisation is for you, please have a conversation with us so we can create a safe space for you to try.
Got questions about classes? Give us a call at 0449 220 124, or drop us an email.