“Spontaneity class was the best thing I've done in years. I absolutely loved it.” —L. Young
Spontaneity covers the basics of impro and introduces you to our style and approach to improvisation. You’ll work on unleashing your creativity and unlocking your spontaneity through impro games and exercises based on play, collaboration and support. This course is designed to encourage fearlessness, to help you break out of your comfort zone and have fun!
Spontaneity is the mandatory first course of the Impro Melbourne workshop program and requires no prior improvisation or performance experience. It’s an active program and requires participation from all students.
We value diversity and extend a warm welcome to people of different ethnicities, religions, sexualities, genders, abilities, ages and backgrounds. If you are unsure if improvisation is for you, please have a conversation with us so we can work together to create an environment for you to try.
- What should I wear? Comfortable clothing to move freely.
- What should I bring? A water bottle and a notebook to capture thoughts, if you wish.
- What happens in the class? Classes start with warm-up games, then move into impro exercises specifically chosen to build your skills. All the games and exercises are done either together by the whole class in a circle, or in small groups or pairs.
- How do your teachers work? Impro Melbourne’s dynamic faculty of teachers has a wide range of experience, creativity and expertise. All our teachers are trained in our course objectives; however, they will approach the work with their own individual style. This may mean exercises and approaches could vary between teachers, but the course objectives are consistent.
- What is expected of students? We expect all students to treat each other with full respect and acceptance regardless of gender, sexuality, nationality, religion, race or ability. Impro Melbourne reserves the right to remove and/or exclude from workshops any participants for behaviour that may interfere with the safe, inclusive and constructive workshop environment.
A few common questions>
If you have further questions or would like some more information, please contact Kate our workshop co-ordinator.