With Tim Redmond
“Great course content, teachers & students. What more can you ask for?”
The Weekend Intensive is designed to provide an in-depth learning experience around a theme, offering a variety of experiences adding diversity to the improviser's repertoire.
Prerequisite Skills: No previous singing experience is necessary. Basic Improvisation skills required. Impro Melbourne’s Spontaneity, Narrative Technique or similar training. Please contact email@example.com to discuss further.
TERM 3 - On Sale Now!
THE SONGPROV MACHINE with Tim Redmond & Pan Reed
August 26th and 27th
Improvised musicals can seem a daunting undertaking. There's character wants, narrative position, emotional tone, genre, is it a solo song, duet or perhaps a group number? What key is it in? What's the rhythm? How long should the song be? And let's not even mention rhyming! It's enough to make you fear singing. But it doesn't have to be so. Not if we keep it simple.
In The Songprov Machine, students will be guided through the nuts and bolts, the bibs and bobs of creating improvised musicals to discover with just a few essential tools. wondrous songprov is possible. We'll unpack and explore opening numbers, duets, counterpoints, the call-back, the eleven o'clock number and the musical theater favourite, a song to the moon.
The weekend focus includes:
Commitment to the emotional core of a song and deepening the simplicity of that discovery.
What each song 'does'.
Lyrical association and metaphor
Lots and lots and lots of singing.
At the conclusion of the weekend, we'll perform an informal showcase for invited guests.
About Weekend Intensives
Themes alter through the year and could be focused on any of the following:
- Short form: How to play the game, ask the audience for suggestions, explain the game, and perform it.
- Narrative Long form: Discovering a wide range of long format structures such as linear and non-linear narratives, directed long forms, thematic and genre work.
- Concept-based Long form: Delve into formats such as Armando, Harold, City Life, Stuck In The Middle to name a few. These are long forms in structure and time but are not necessarily focused on a complete story.
- Improvised Song: A special weekend course focused on improvised songs and musical scenes. Exploring song structure, musicality, and how songs fit into scene work.
What you will learn:
- Understand the format structure, aims, and objectives
- Explore what it is like to play the format
- Work on advanced concepts specific to the intensive
- Shaping the format for performance
- Improvisation skill enhancement and development
There is no formal feedback to students for this course.
Note: Impro Melbourne workshops are for ages 18 and over.
Completion of Impro Melbourne's Spontaneity, Narrative Technique, Scene Work, & Character workshops or equivalent improvisation and performance skills. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check as this can change depending on the workshop.
Dates & Times
Sunday 11.00am – 5.00pm